3953 LW Maarsbergen
The estate is located at the foot of the Utrechtse Heuvelrug, on the edge of the Gelderse Vallei. Landgoed Maarsbergen is a privately owned estate that inspires through contemporary management and careful preservation of cultural heritage, forest, nature and landscape. Private ownership is characterized by individuality and continuity. Every private owner does what suits him or her and aims to hand over the property to next generations.
The estate wants to be an example and inspire others to be careful and responsible with our living environment and to make informed choices that contribute to a sustainable future. The management of the estate is in line with the social developments and wishes of our time. We consciously opt for innovative developments that contribute to sustainability.
Maarsbergen Castle is actually House Maarsbergen. Two-aisled house on a rectangular base, weighted with two diagonally opposite corner towers; an ark tower on the corners of the forehead. The forehead dates from the mid-15th or 16th century (prose-thigh house), the rear aisle from the mid-19th century, the corner towers from 1930. The oldest part of the current house is probably part of a rebuild from 1430. The castle existed in any case in 1613 from a moat rectangular hall building with a round tower on the northwest and southeast corner.
Belonging to Home Maarsbergen and located to the east of it is the Orangery. Built in the mid-19th century or later in a striking, eclectic style. Narrow, high-rise brick building on rectangular floor plan with risking middle part and mansard roof; painted plastered plinth. The facade is symmetrically divided by three contiguous narrow, high glass doors with semi-circular skylight.
Knight Fulco chose this place 1000 years ago to build a defensive work in the wasteland: his back against the hill and a wide view over the valley.
Knight Fulco pray to the virgin Mary one day he got into a tough fight and fled. He came to the river Maas and saw no other option than to jump into the river with his horse and full armor. He crossed the river and he kept his word. Maarsbergen became a preacher of the Abbey of Berne.
In 1650 the Amsterdam merchant Samuel de Marez bought Maarsbergen. With his family, he was the first private resident. In the 19th century Jan Andries Dubois left his mark on Maarsbergen and the surrounding area.
He adapted the park around the house to his time and started afforestation. In 1882, Charles Antonie Godin de Beaufort bought the Maarsbergen House with surrounding lands. The current owners and residents of the House are his descendants.